Resources for More Livable Communities: National Organizations
- Active Living by Design: Extensive technical assistance &
practical guidance on building healthy eating, active living settings.
- Active Living Research, at UC San Diego: Definitive compilation of the research on active living designs, policies, and impacts.
- Alliance for Biking and Walking: Great annual benchmarking report.
- AmericaWalks: National pedestrian advocacy organization.
- Bikes Belong Coalition: Coalition of bicycle industry retailers & suppliers supporting bike-friendly communities & policies, including a community grant program.
- EPA Smart Growth program: Technical assistance, design & policy
guidance, and funding opportunities.
- Complete Streets: National coalition working for streets that work for
pedestrians, bicyclists, and transits users of all ages, incomes, and abilities.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.: A site with tons of
current data on health and physical activity, and promotional resources.
- League of American Bicyclists: National advocacy group advancing the
Bike Friendly Community, Business, & Campus programs..
- Local Government Commission, Sacramento, CA: Technical guidance and practical
planning and transportation guides, especially useful for local elected & appointed officials.
- National Center for Bicycling and Walking: Organizes the biennial Pro
Walk/Pro Bike conference, and sends out a info-laden monthly email newsletter.
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center: Comprehensive technical
support & info including walkability and bike-ability checklists, design, & cost guides.
- Project for Public Spaces: Terrific resources for inclusive and equitable community
engagement & creation of livable, functional, & appealing communities.
- Rails-to- Trails Conservancy, Washington, DC: Great help for trail and
greenway advocates, including research supporting trails’ benefits.
- Rivers and Trails Conservation Assistance, a program of the National Park Service: Provides technical planning, design, organizational support.
- Safe Routes to School info: Nat’l Center for Safe Routes to School:
- Safe Routes to School info: National Safe Routes to School Partnership,
- Surface Transportation Policy Partnership: Publishes annual reports loaded
with pedestrian activity and safety data.
- Victoria Transportation Policy Institute, Victoria, British Columbia: Outstanding
white papers, research evidence, and resources to support active transportation.
- Walkscore.com: Get a score from 0-100 on the walkability of any address in North America!
- Mark Fenton, national public health, planning, & transportation consultant::